Asparagus is in season right now so it’s the best time to take advantage of this super vegetable.
In Merseyside we’re very fortunate that asparagus is famously locally grown and many local organic farms specialise in this super green stalks. Lyncroft Farm are very good and I highly recommend them and their produce (call them on 07970750145).
Benefits of Asparagus
- Full of vitamins A, B and C
- Full of fibre and folic acid
- Great for the heart and boosts your immune system
- Great for skin, hair and nails
This is one of my favourite recipes that incorporates asparagus
Scrambled egg , smoked salmon, asparagus and spinach quick breakfast
2 eggs(per person)
Slice of buttered rye toast( could replace with quinoa if on the B-Fit B-Fabulous 21 Day Weight Loss Plan)
Asparagus spears- as many as you fancy!!
Smoked salmon – cut into pieces (1 portion is the size of the palm of your hand)
Coconut or avocado oil
Raw spinach – as much as you fancy!
Hemp oil( to drizzle over the top when cooked)
1) Remove the woody/ bottom part of asparagus stems and steam the asparagus for a few minutes until cooked but still firm – NOT SOGGY/ DON’T OVERCOOK.
2) Heat the avocado/coconut oil in a frying pan and scramble the eggs
3) Once cooked, remove from hob and mix in salmon and asparagus
4) Add to toast and bed of raw spinach , drizzle with hemp oil and season with pepper
Why does asparagus make your wee smell?
I couldn’t write an asparagus blog without addressing this little mystery. You eat asparagus, go to the toilet and wonder what the heck that smell is! Don’t worry, it is completely normal. And don’t worry if you can’t smell it – that’s normal too! About half of the population experience this funny smell when urinating after consuming asparagus. Funny smelling wee after eating asparagus is due to a sulphur containing amino acid in asparagus that breaks down during digestion.
to claim your FREE session or Call Gaynor on 07748 298 728
WANT FREE WEEKLY HEALTH,NUTRITION & WEIGHT LOSS TIPS?
Just pop your details in the box below