There’s a real buzz and trend around Turmeric right now.
A herb from the Ginger family, Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant that’s been used for centuries in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine.
Most of us know of ground Turmeric common in Indian cuisine but did you know you can also buy it fresh? Fresh Turmeric is a knobby, orange root kinda similar looking to fresh ginger. And just like ginger you need to peel the skin off before grating or slicing for cooking.
The benefits of turmeric include …
- Supports healthy inflammation
- Protects from free radical damage
- Improves circulation
- Protects the liver
Remember the colour of your dish will change so a small amount will go a long way. As it cooks the flavour gets stronger so go easy – we don’t want to much zing!
Here are 8 simple ways to use turmeric …
- Add a dash to guacamole
- Add a pinch to hummus
- Rub into meats before grilling
- Stir some into yoghurt
- Blend into a smoothie for a bit of a kick and golden colour
- Add to stir fried veggies along with ginger and garlic
- Make into a warm, golden, almond drink (recipe below)
- Brew your own turmeric and ginger tea (recipe below)
Golden Almond Milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp agave or honey
- ½ tsp turmeric (freshly grated or ground)
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- Add the almond milk to the milkpan
- Stir in the turmeric, honey or agave syrup, coconut oil and pepper
- Place the pan over a low heat, but make sure it doesn’t boil
- Add the cinnamon stick
- When heated through, transfer to a mug and enjoy
Turmeric & Ginger Tea
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp freshly grated turmeric
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp agave or honey
- Pour a mug or 2 of boiling water into a milkpan (1 mug of water per person)
- Add 1 tsp each of freshly grated ginger and turmeric for every mug of water
- Bring to a simmer and warm for 5-7 mins
- Take off the heat and pop a sieve over a mug and strain the tea through
- Serve with lemon and honey or agave syrup to taste
So are you familiar with turmeric? Got a recipe to share? As always, I’d love to hear from you.
Love Gaynor x
to claim your FREE session or Call Gaynor on 07748 298 728
WANT FREE WEEKLY HEALTH,NUTRITION & WEIGHT LOSS TIPS?
Just pop your details in the box below