It’s not quite winter yet so it’s still salad season in the Stobie household. What better way to move into Autumn than with delicious seasonal squash and barley salad. Add your favourite fish or lean chicken/turkey for protein or just make in bulk and save the leftovers for lunch.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into long pieces
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 250g pearl barley
- 300g Tenderstem broccoli, cut into medium-size pieces
- 100g SunBlush tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp small capers, rinsed
- 15 black olives, pitted
- 20g pack basil, chopped
For the dressing
- 5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Place the squash on a baking tray and toss with avocado oil. Roast for 20 mins. Meanwhile, boil the barley for about 25 mins in salted water until tender, but al dente. While this is happening, whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Drain the barley, then tip it into a bowl and pour over the dressing. Mix well and let it cool.
- Boil the broccoli in salted water until just tender, then drain and rinse in cold water. Drain and pat dry. Add the broccoli and remaining ingredients to the barley and mix well. This will keep for 3 days in the fridge and is delicious warm or cold.