I often get asked how do I get, and stay, motivated to eat well and work out?
Afterall, motivation is mandatory, right? If you want to get fit or transform your body, you need the proper motivation to get your bootie exercising and making good choices in the kitchen.
Let’s bring this to life with a visual for how most people view motivation. What most people think happens is this …
MOTIVATION → ACTION
In otherwards motivation comes first, and that leads to action.
In my experience and from lots of reading and research this is not the reality. This is what really happens …
ACTION → RESULTS → MOTIVATION → MORE ACTION
Often action precedes motivation. Successful people know this, and it’s why they act especially when they’re void of motivation because they know the motivation will kick in once they start.
Still with me?!
Consistent action produces results. That is what leads to even more motivation, which generates more action, which then leads to greater motivation. It’s a powerful force once set into motion.
Regardless of what you want to achieve whether it’s fat loss, getting stronger, or something completely unrelated to health and fitness the solution is always in the DOING.
Do something that will lead you to your goal. Do it today, especially if you don’t feel like it. The results you achieve from taking action will likely evoke the motivation you crave.
Also, Mel Robbins, a top 20 TEDx speaker and New York Times best-selling author reinforces what I’m saying here in this awesome video on WHY MOTIVATION IS GARBAGE. Do take the time to listen over a cuppa, plus I think you’ll love Mel.
Lastly, don’t get me wrong using motivational tactics will help a little, but nothing trumps CONSISTENT ACTION.
Here’s some tactics you can use:
• Get crystal clear on your goals and your “why”
• Buddy up for support and accountability
• Buy a new gym outfit that helps you feel good
• Try something new e.g. new foods, a dance class, get outdoors
• Reward yourself when you hit a goal
• Listen to your favourite music, this works a treat for me
• Hire a coach to help motivate and keep you accountable
• Have visuals as a reminder of what you want to look like
• Watch videos, listen to podcasts, read books that fire you up
Hope this helps my friend. Have an awesome day.
Love Gaynor x