This soup is great if you want to start to cleanse and detoxify your body, especially before or after an indulgent holiday. It’s packed with immunity-boosting ingredients like broccoli, ginger, mushrooms, kale, nori, and garlic, and will get your healthy eating right back on track. gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free, grain-free
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
COOK TIME: 20 minutes
1½ tsp (7 mL) coconut oil or olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced 3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cup (750 mL) sliced cremini or white button mushrooms (about 8 oz)
1 cup (250 mL) chopped carrots
2 cup (500 mL) chopped broccoli florets
pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1½ to 3 tsp (7 to 15 mL) grated peeled fresh ginger
½ tsp (2 mL) ground turmeric
2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) ground cinnamon
5 cup (1.25 L) organic vegetable stock
2 lg nori seaweed sheets, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) strips (optional)
2 cup (500 mL) torn kale leaves Fresh lemon juice, for serving (optional)
1. HEAT oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
2. ADD mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli, and stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes more.
3. STIR in ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
4. ADD broth and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
5. STIR in nori (if using) and kale just before serving, and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.