With Halloween weekend upon us, what shall we do with all that pumpkin flesh we carve out of our Jack o lanterns? Make it into this delicious Pumpkin, Halloumi and chilli omelette! This dish is equally delicious hot from the pan or cold the next day. Personally, I like to make extra and leave it to cool then enjoy at breakfast.
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 175g organic halloumi cheese, sliced
- 500g pumpkin or butternut squash, diced
- 2 red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cider or balsamic vinegar
- small bunch mint, roughly chopped
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Cook the halloumi for 1-2 mins on each side until golden, remove from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining oil to the pan, then cook the squash for about 10 mins, until soft and starting to colour. Add the chilli and garlic and cook for a further 2 mins. Pour over the vinegar, then put the halloumi back into the pan, scatter over the mint and pour on the eggs. Cook for 5 mins until the base is set.
- Heat the grill to high. Flash the omelette under the grill for 5 mins until puffed up and golden. Serve immediately or allow to cool and serve cold with a salad if you like.