This is one of the healthy dishes that was served recently at my daughter’s healthy Missy-Chef party.
This one meal my children and their friends keep coming back to as it is surprisingly delicious and they love to help prepare and cook it.
Hearty, warming and packed full of fibre, protein and array of nutrients, give it a try yourself!
INGREDIENTS Serves: 4
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large red pepper and 1 large green pepper- deseeded and chopped
- 2 carrots – peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 450g canned mixed beans – butter bean, red kidney and mixed beans
- 300ml (1/2 pt) vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of Himalyan salt and pepper
- 250 g of Brown rice
- Heat the coconut butter/ oil in a large saucepan on the hob on a medium heat.
- Peel and chop the onion ,garlic , carrots and de-seed and chop the peppers.
- Add the onion, garlic, red and green peppers, carrots, coriander and chilli powder to the pan of oil/coconut butter and fry for approximately 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato puree, cumin and paprika
- Add the tinned tomatoes, beans, stock and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat and bring to the boil. Then reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- As soon as the 3 bean chilli is simmering on a low heat, rinse the rice in a sieve and put in a pan of boiling water to cook for 25 minutes/according to packet instructions.
- Once the rice is cooked, drain the rice with a sieve and rinse with boiling water/pour the water over the rice.
- Remove the 3 bean chilli sauce from the hob and serve with the brown rice and a side salad.