A friend of mine has been telling me about a little healthy eaterie in Liverpool where they roast a whole head of cauliflower and serve with dips as an appetiser. What a great idea!
Talking of cauliflower, roast cauliflower is delicious. You don’t necessarily need to boil or steam this versatile vegetable and this recipe is easy, quick, tasty and healthy.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5cm piece ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 300g brown wholegrain basmati rice
- 700ml hot organic vegetable stock
- 3 curry leaves
- 250g cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder
- handful coriander, chopped
- 100g toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 150ml pot organic natural yogurt, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook for 5 mins until golden. Add the garlic, ginger, garam masala and rice, and cook for a few more mins. Add the stock and curry leaves, and season. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 40 mins.
- Toss the cauliflower in the curry powder and remaining oil, season and put on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 40 mins until tender.
- Remove the rice pan from the heat and leave for 5 mins, then gently stir through the roasted cauliflower, coriander and toasted hazelnuts. Serve with natural yogurt.