Quinoa really is the breakfast of champions. Ask any athlete and they will tell you that filling up on this amazing ancient grain will help you smash that personal best!
I love quinoa for its high protein content and the fact is contains all the essential amino acids.
Many people think that quinoa is just a savoury dish but there are some great ways to make this a sweet breakfast dish that will keep hunger well at bay until lunch.
Cinnamon Scented Breakfast Quinoa Recipe
- 1 cup quinoa (all red or a mix of red, white, or black)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Broken or chopped walnuts, honey, almond or coconut milk, and flaky sea salt such as Maldon
1) Wash quinoa in several changes of water in a bowl, rubbing grains and letting them settle before pouring off water (if quinoa does not settle, drain in a large fine-mesh sieve after each rinse), until water is clear.
2) Drain washed quinoa well in a large fine-mesh sieve.
3) Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan and bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
4) Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and keep covered to keep warm. Remove cinnamon sticks.
5) Divide quinoa among bowls and top with walnuts, organic honey, almond or coconut milk, and sea salt. You could also top with whatever fresh fruit you fancy!