That green tough looking stuff? Gaynor are you SURE?
Indeed I am sure! Kale is a true superfood and it’s one you should be aiming to eat each week for so many additional health and nutritious benefits.
So, what makes kale so awesome I hear you ask? Read on…
- Antioxidant Benefits: Kale is one of the most antioxidant rich foods known to man. Kale contains huge amounts of vitamins A, C and K alongside sulphur-rich phytonutrients.
- Anti-ageing Benefits: Kale has been proven to fight oxidative stress – that’s ageing to you and I. If we don’t get enough antioxidants, the process of oxidative stress speeds up meaning that not only do we age, but as our cells break down and die we are also susceptible to degenerative diseases and chronic illnesses. So if you want to feel good, look good and be nourished inside and out – kale is going to be your new best friend!
- Anti-Inflammatory Benefits: Did you know that kale is a natural anti-inflammatory? Thanks to the huge vitamin K and omega 3 content, kale is super anti inflammatory.
- Anti-Cancer Benefits: kale has been proven in numerous studies to help protect against at least five cancers (bladder, breast, colon, ovarian and prostate).Kale’s high content and combination of particular antioxidants in the carotenoid and flavonoid family (particularly lutein and beta-carotine) are all cancer fighting.
- Cardiovascular Support: Kale can help lower cholesterol. Research has proven that when eating kale, it’s fibre-related nutrients bind with bile acids and are passed out of the body. When this happens, the liver replaces the bile acids by drawing on existing cholesterol supplies, in turn lowering cholesterol.
- Eye Health: Kale is rich in lutein and zeaxanthin compounds – beneficial for eye health as they help prevent macular degeneration
- High in Fibre: Kale contains 7 grams of fibre per 100 calories. Beneficial for the digestive system and also protects our stomach lining from bacterial overgrowth.
- High in Chlorophyll: kale is dark green in colour and being a being a super-leafy plant, levels of chlorophyll are especially high.
- Detoxification: Chlorophyll helps to detoxify the body by collecting toxins such as heavy metals, pesticides, herbicides and other toxins…and then taking them straight out of the body!