I can’t believe I haven’t shared this with you before. It is literally the best dish ever and easy to replace white rice, pasta and bread with this versatile, easy and healthy alternative.
It’s so simple to make and it tastes fantastic. You can eat it hot or cold and it goes with pretty much anything! You can also eat it raw to retain as many nutrients as possible.
1 head cauliflower, any size
1 tablespoon avocado oil
Food processor or box grater
Pan with lid, optional
- Cut the cauliflower into large pieces: Cut the head of cauliflower into quarters, then trim out the inner core from each quarter. Break apart the cauliflower into large florets with your hands. If the core is tender, you can chip it into pieces and add it with the florets.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor: Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor. Don’t fill the food processor more than 3/4 full; if necessary, process in two batches.
- Pulse the cauliflower until completely broken down: Process the cauliflower in 1-second pulses until it has completely broken down into couscous-sized granules. (Alternatively, grate the florets on the large holes of a box grater.)
- Pull out any unprocessed pieces: Some florets or large pieces of cauliflower might remain intact. Pull these out and set them aside. Transfer the cauliflower couscous to another container and re-process any large pieces.
- Serving raw cauliflower couscous: Cauliflower couscous can be used raw, tossed like grains into a salad or in a cold side dish.
- Cooking cauliflower couscous: Cooking makes the cauliflower more tender and rice-like. Warm a tablespoon of avocado oil in a large pan over medium heat. Stir in the cauliflower bits and sprinkle with a little himalayan pink salt. Cover the pan and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until the couscous sized rice is as tender as you like. Use or serve immediately, or refrigerate for up to a week.
- Freezing raw cauliflower couscous: The couscous can also be sealed in airtight containers or bags and frozen for up to three months. Thaw on the counter for a few minutes before using or cooking.
Top tip! Goes really well with the following dishes: